Friday 14 November 2014

Weekend Cooking - First World War Trench Cake

Back in the summer The Daily Telegraph newspaper here in the UK published an article about those at home sending Christmas cakes to the battle fields of World War One.

The official recipe was produced by the Government and is published here. The recipe contains no eggs and vinegar was used to react with the baking soda to assist the cake to rise.

Trench Cake

Ingredients

1/2lb flour
4 oz margarine
1 teaspoon vinegar
1/4 pint of milk
3 oz brown sugar
3 oz cleaned currants
Trench cake
Photo: Department for Culture, Media and Sport
2 teaspoons cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
nutmeg
ginger
grated lemon rind

Method

Grease a cake tin.
Rub margarine into the flour in a basin.
Add the dry ingredients.
Mix well.
Add the soda dissolved in vinegar and milk.
Beat well.
Turn into the tin.
Bake in a moderate oven for about two hours.

I have not made this, but might give it a go. Anyone want to join me?

Weekend Cooking is hosted by BethFishReads

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love this war cake recipe. I found a bunch of similar ones in my grandmother's recipes. It was amazing how resourceful people were during rationing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like the fruit cakes I make. let us know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...